Night scenes are beautiful but at the same time quite challenging for photographers – exposures are long, images have more noise than in daylight, it’s often cold. Although I can’t make taking photos any easier for you I can at least help you in processing them. So today I’m sharing 7 presets for Photomatix Pro to process night scenes! I used these presets in many of my night photos (including above) like this or this so I hope you will be able to get some great results with them as well.
You can download the presets here. They are both for Details Enhancer and Fusion/Natural processing methods.
For more information on processing and taking HDR photos read my HDR tutorial.
To install the presets*:
- Download the presets and extract them on your disk.
- Start Photomatix Pro 4.2. If you haven’t updated to 4.2 visit HDRsoft homepage and download your upgrade (in case you’re eligible to it).
- Open any image and tonemap it to go to the tonemapping preview mode.
- In the Presets window change tab from “Built-In” to “My Presets”.
- In the combo-box in the upper part of the Presets window select “Import Presets…” item.
- Navigate to the directory where you extracted presets and select all the files you want to import. You might also want to specify category for the imported presets (eg. “Downloaded”). To do this just fill in the text field at the bottom of the Import window.
- Accept the selection and wait for the thumbnails to appear. Voila!