Normally I don’t review social networks and websites but SmugMug is a bit different. It’s a website hosting photographers’ portfolios (BTW you can see mine here) not the one where you share your images to gain ‘likes’ or comments.
Pricing and Features
There are 4 plans, which varying in features, that you can choose from. You will find them listed below with their pricing and core features. Please note that there are probably 10x more features for each of the plans – I just picked the ones I consider the most important (eg. I skipped images enhancement):
- Basic ($5/month or $40/year)
- portfolio website (with customization),
- unlimited traffic,
- ability to upload both images and videos,
- detailed stats,
- technical support
- Power ($8/month or $60/year) – same as Basic and additionally:
- ability to disable right-click images download,
- premade themes for your page
- Portfolio ($20/month or $150/year) – same as Power and additionally:
- ability to add custom watermarks to your images,
- a lot of settings to set up prints selling,
- ability to sell digital downloads
- Business ($35/month or $300/year) – same as Portfolio and additionally:
- ability to create custom coupons for promotions,
- a lot of branding settings.
I decided to go with Portfolio plan as it offers virtually everything I need (probably even more). However, if you’re not much into selling your photos and you don’t need custom watermark you can definitely go with Power program (which is more than 2x cheaper) as it’s also feature-packed.
I recommend it over Basic plan because of the ability to protect your images on right-click… i.e. it won’t be possible to download your images after right-clicking them. In fact I’m rather surprised and somehow disappointed that this feature isn’t part of Basic plan as from my point of view it’s crucial for almost any photographer. Another nice feature of Power plan are premade themes that are great starting point to customize your portfolio.
- Dozens of useful features,
- Ease of use,
- Customization options,
- A bit expensive,
- Right-click protection of images isn’t available in cheapest plan,
- Most of the traffic to SmugMug comes from the outside